I find myself suggesting the same books to people over and over again, so I thought I’d mention them here. MANY are available free online.
Especially for Young People
- J.C. Ryle, Thoughts for Young Men – good for girls to surreptitiously read as well 😉
- J.C. Ryle, Holiness
- John Bunyan, Christian Behavior
- Martyn Lloyd-Jones, Life in the Spirit
- Martyn Lloyd-Jones, The Christian Solider
- William Gurnall, The Christian in Complete Armour
- Voices from the Past, $20 used — this book is FANTASTIC for both being thought-provoking and helpful in its own right, but also as a jump-off point to whet the appetite for reading the Puritans. I’ve discovered (and read) so many worthy books for free on Kindle that I’ve originally discovered through this little book.
- Teri Maxwell, Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit – this book is about much more than homeschooling, and useful to non-homeschoolers (especially with small children). Also don’t miss her helpful books on scheduling, and encouraging tidbits for parents throughout the Titus2 website.
- Denise Sproul, Tending Your Garden: Wisdom for Keepers at Home – I don’t agree with all the theology in this book (dominionist and theonomist) but the practical advice is very, very excellent.
- Rachel Jankovic, Loving the Little Years – I know I have theological disagreements with the author, although I don’t remember them creeping up in this book. General encouragement for mommies of littles.
- Pam Forster, For Instruction in Righteousness – the Forster family has created lots of practical resources for parents (much like the Maxwells, above), but this one is my favorite.
- John Piper, The Swans are Not Silent series: I especially recommend The Hidden Smile of God and The Roots of Endurance.
- Charles Ray, The Life of Susannah Spurgeon – I’ve written about this book and its tremendous effect on my life on here before…. in a post that seems to be no longer on the blog. I should re-write this one, because this little book continues to resonate throughout my life. 🙂
- I wrote a very long post here eight years ago, which now has broken images and so on, but may still be useful. I need to write a new one.